HIU provides educational subsidies and scholarships for children whose families in Uganda are unable to pay the costs themselves. This program continues recruiting students if they meet our criteria and if funding allows it.  These subsidies and scholarships are available for primary school education through college.  Average annual cost of elementary K-12 education is $ 250-700.  The annual cost of college education for a medical student at Hope Africa University in Burundi, Africa is $3500 including room and board.  

An example of 23 students is described below. 

Students Grade


Average cost per student













56% of the Budget is dedicated to primary and secondary education and 45% toward the college education. 

 14% of the education budget is currently direct sponsorship to individual children and the remaining 86% of the funds are raised from the sale of Jinja Jewelry.  We would like the balance to shift to more direct sponsorship, so we are able to reach more children. The children benefit from a relationship with a personal sponcer as well.

Our Process:

We use an application process for each child taken into the program. Our scholarship committee selects each child, then connects them with a mentor. Next, the child is given the supplies and uniforms needed. The children are then responsible to follow all guidelines set by HIU.

The mentor is responsible for connecting with the child as they make the journey through the year, ensuring a stable and productive environment. This has been highly successful. All funding has been set up directly with the school districts. The district then receives funds at the beginning of each of the three annual semesters.

Making sense of the Ugandan School System:

In Uganda, the government does subsidize some of the schools.  However, a child cannot attend without supplies or a uniform. Most parents or caregivers cannot afford to send the children even with this meager requirements. They have two systems for education which are:

Day school

This is your local primary and secondary school that provides a very basic education. The children live with the parents or caregivers and walk back and forth each day. They do not receive lunch at school and have very few supplies. Most work is done by the teacher on an old blackboard  and the seats are wood benches which are crowded and  few, or cement blocks or stones on which to sit. The children usually do not have supplies on which to write or draw and the lessons learned are from memory and repetition.

Boarding School

The second form of schooling is boarding school. A child is very happy to attend boarding school in Uganda. They recieve a higher level of education, they are fed three meals a day and have their own bed to sleep on. But they must provide the mattress.  They also provide their own shoes and uniforms. They only go home three times a year for short periods. The school runs from January to December broken into three semesters.

There is a great inconsistancy within the educational system in Uganda. Depending on the region, wealth of an area and the leadership within the community. What is consistant is the desire for better education and willingness to learn. The growth we have seen in our children in such a short time has been inspiring. The ripple effect is taking hold.

Sponsor a student:

If you would like to sponsor one of the HIU children, you may choose a child from our biographies.  We will then give you more complete information on that child. HIU can connect you with the child through letters, report cards and pictures in a reciprocal cycle so you can see how your student develops and they will get to know you. You may also choose to make a trip to Uganda with HIU and meet your child.

If you cannot take on a full sponsorship of a child, that is okay, we will use your donation of any amount, to put with others. HIU will apply that to one of our students.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>